Friday, September 21, 2012

Work in Japan as graphic artist, advertising? How about starting a business


Work in Japan as graphic artist, advertising? How about starting a business?
This is more of a what-if? question. As at this point, I don't seriously intend to move to Japan but like to think about it...We (wife + I ) would want to be in Kyoto (or maybe elsewhere in Kansai - but mostly Kyoto) I have 20+ years self employed experience in graphic arts, illustration, design (Mac) - as well as copy-writing, art direction.. I currently work mostly for fashion, retail and travel clients, I have a strong work ethic.. I know there is a lot of English marketing and design already in Japan and with my experience I imagine I would be a terrific asset to a small firm.. I can also draw "kawaee" little logo characters, and do a lot of "youth-oreinted' kind of work. any ideas if I could find work easily? what kind of pay? If I were to re-locate and cash out my assets here, would have in the neighbourhood of 50million Yen. How easy would it be for a Gaijin to buy a home or start a (izakaya) business with that kind of money? domo arigato - okini! ; )
Japan - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Yes you can buy a house and start business. Only and the biggest problem is that whether you speak Japanese or not. Mostly ppl doesn't speak English in Japan. English is not official language either.
2 :
The most important thing will be whether you speak Japanese or not. Though many people in Japan speak English as a second language, it's not anywhere near official and you will have a seriously hard time finding clients. Also, getting a visa will be very hard if not impossible. You would be better off trying to get a job with a company there and hoping you can get a visa that way. Otherwise, just take a vacation and come back home. Japan is a wonderful and beautiful place (it did give me my fiance), but they are not too good about allowing foreigners to move to their country. In fact, you basically can't get a visa without a bachelor's degree. If you want to buy a home and start a business both, then you would need more money, but I have not done enough research on this to give you a firm answer. My fiance is moving here, because we found that we both can make more money here in California and the cost of living is much less. If you do speak Japanese, then I wish you much luck, you will definitely need it.