Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Can I apply for work in Japan if I am pregnant


Can I apply for work in Japan if I am pregnant?
I am an ESL teacher; I've always wanted to work in Japan. Recently I found out I was pregnant and now I don't know if can apply for any of the jobs that I worked so hard to find. My child would be born in Japan. I would like that to be the case; as I intend to live and stay in Japan for life. But I don't know what the legal issues behind that are; or if there are any. Would anyone hire a pregnant woman? Does anyone know where I might find information on it.
Immigration - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
their are no leagal resons why u can't . just get your immigrations stuff together like normal. but as for hireing a pregnant woman that will be hard, same as here no one wants to hire a pregnant woman couse they will be gone in a short period of time its not worth the cost of training if they have to do it all again in 7 months
2 :
You are going to need to find a very understanding employer. You have to register with Japan's City/Town Hall as a foreign resident, but you need a sponsor (this case, employer). Without registration, you can't get social insurance (w/out this you pay exorbitant medical fees). Japan's job applicant cut-off rate is pretty severe because it is traditionally based on age and status. Being an ESL teacher is a plus, but sadly, your chances of being hired with your current situation (pregnant) are not the best because your employer is going to have to consider the time off due to pregnancy and childcare. Also, the prefecture where you plan to teach can also affect your chances.