Wednesday, January 7, 2009

How does foreign exchange work? - Japan to America


How does foreign exchange work? - Japan to America?
To be blunt, I'm just trying to write a story about a Japanese kid going to America and figured I need details since I'm not japanese. What confused me was Japan's voluntary high school and their grade system. If you are a native Japanese exchanging to America, and you are in that "voluntary" high school, what do you exchange into in America? Say I'm "First Year" in Japan. Do I go to America's "Freshmen" grade? Also, how long can a foreign exchange student stay in America? A month? A year? Also, how young can these kids transfer? Is there an age limit?
Japan - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
>Say I'm "First Year" in Japan. Do I go to America's "Freshmen" grade? It depends on each school. 1st year of high school is 10th grade in US. So if the high school in US is 4-year one, he would be transferred to sophomore year. >Also, how long can a foreign exchange student stay in America? A month? A year? It's possible to stay one year if you got that kind of visa. >Also, how young can these kids transfer? Is there an age limit? If you are talking about high schools, you must be 15 to join a high school in Japan. So that's age limit.